The College Bound Scholarship program represents a phenomenal opportunity for the City and its residents and continued positive change for Hammond.

Frequently Asked Questions

A student who wishes to be considered for a College Bound scholarship must apply for financial aid. Assistance may come from a variety of federal and state run programs, including:

Federal Programs:

  • Pell Grants
  • Stafford Loans
  • PLUS Loans
  • Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants
  • Work Study
  • Perkins Loans

State of Indiana Programs:

  • Frank O’Bannon Grant (formerly the Indiana Higher Education Grant) Programo (Higher Education Award,
  • Freedom of Choice Award)
  • Hoosier Scholar Award
  • 21st Century Scholars Program
  • 21st Century Scholars GEAR UP Scholarship
  • Nursing Scholarship
  • Minority Teacher/Special Education Services Scholarship
  • Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship
  • Summer State Work Study Program
  • Indiana National Guard Supplemental Grant
  • Part-Time Grant Program
  • Child of Certain Veterans and Public Safety Officers Supplemental Grant

Commonly known as FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), the application can be obtained from the student’s high school counselor, the university or college that a student is applying to or filed online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. In the event that a student is a recipient of the 21st Century Scholars Program, which combined with financial aid covers the full cost of tuition, College Bound will serve as an honorary scholarship (awarded without financial benefit). Contact the student’s college or university to ask if a student is eligible to utilize both programs.

For the purposes of this program, the recognized accrediting authority is the North Central Association for all colleges and universities. Accreditation for public and private elementary, middle, and high schools is the Indiana Department of Education.
The commitment and sacrifices made by those serving in the military deserves special consideration. Should a family become displaced due to military assignment or relocation (voluntary or involuntary) and return to Hammond prior to the student’s high school graduation, the period of absence shall be bridged without penalty.

Share this: